The Leader
News

Village board votes to table proposed rental law, trustees to review amendments

TRAVIS LEFEVRE, JOSH RANNEY AND VICTOR SCHMITT-BUSH
Editor in Chief, News Editor, Assistant News Editor

In an anticlimactic conclusion to the board meeting on Oct. 8, village trustees decided, by a vote of 4-0 to table the amendments to the village rental law until Oct. 22 at 7 p.m.
The law in question would reduce the maximum occupancy as well as, more controversially, require the registering of landlords and tenants in Fredonia.
Some landlords have claimed that this law is in the public interest of citizens of the village of Fredonia because it provides an active means to ensure public health and safety.
“I see no intrusion on the proposed registry,” said landlord Mark Twitchell. “If I could only make one modification, I would like to see that there could be a voluntary registry whereby landlords who have entered into the registry could voluntarily list their names; not necessarily the names of their tenants, but their names.”
The reason for this, he explained, is that a majority of landlords have tenants who are very safety oriented.
This is not the only example of support. Attorney Daniel Gard said to The Leader last week, “There is a very vocal minority of landlords who have gone above and beyond to try to create hysteria over this law.”
Village mayor, Athanasia Landis also expressed support for the law before the Monday meeting.
Alleviating complaints, ensuring proper housing and holding landlords accountable were a few of the main reasons for her support of the pending law.
The matter appeared before the Student Association this past Thursday when the General Assembly debated the law for over an hour. Ultimately issuing a resolution to oppose the proposed law, citing concerns of privacy and competency in keeping accurate information.
“Let me be clear in saying that the Fredonia Student Association is opposed to the creation of any registry that require[s] personal information of tenants, regardless of how minimal,” said SA President Connor Aitcheson before the board of trustees.
Aitcheson’s personal speech to the board was concluded with applause from those in attendance. As were the statements of all those speaking out against the proposal.
“While I do believe that the safety of our students and all of Fredonia is at the heart of those advocating for this registry,” Aitcheson said. “The Student Association is not thoroughly convinced that the current framework, and lack of specificity within the law, can guarantee that this registry will increase safety more so than potentially leave people in a more vulnerable state.”
Harold Whitford, a local landlord and the President of the Jamestown Real Estate Investors Association, said that the use of this law isn’t entirely known.
“The wording I’ve seen in your proposal is just very confusing for the tenants,” he said. “I suggest to totally strike that and let the state law prevail. I’ve heard a lot of talk about the personal information, [and the request] for tenants birthdates. I agree with everybody that it should not be there, period.”
Not only does he believe that it’s intrusive; he thinks that it’s useless, too. If its purpose was to sit [in] city hall during hours of operation, then it would be useless, according to Whitford. He offered to show the board of trustees a copy of the one-page long registration form that he worked on in Jamestown. His version of the registry does not require tenants names or birthdates.
“I think that’s what’s killing everybody in this room. It’s invasion, big time,” Whitford said.
SA President Connor Aitcheson is hopeful despite the tabling.
“I’m hoping they’re going to use this time between this and the next public hearing … to consider the comments that were made,” said Aitcheson, “hopefully they use the specific issues people have with this law and make amendments to the proposal accordingly.”
Aitcheson felt that his comments to the board brought to light the position of the students of Fredonia. After the meeting, Aitcheson was praised by multiple audience members for his statement during the meeting.
“I think it’s very pertinent that they consider the perspective of our students, especially when this law directly impacts these constituents of ours,” Aitcheson said.