The Leader
Sports

Blue Devil sports roundup: 11/7/23

MATT VOLZ

Sports Editor

Photo by Kayla Welsh, Sports Photographer

The beginning of November typically signals somewhat of a lull in Fredonia sports, as most fall sports have come to a close but some winter sports have yet to begin.

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams are currently in season, but they were off this past weekend as they prepare for a three-team meet that will take place on Saturday, Nov. 11 at Alfred University.

Only two teams—hockey and volleyball—saw game action over the weekend.

HOCKEY

Fredonia’s hockey team was on the road over the weekend for a pair of early-season SUNYAC matchups, dropping both.

On Friday, Nov. 3 against Oswego, the Blue Devils kept it close in the early going but let it slip late.

The Lakers, who entered the game ranked ninth in the nation, came away with a 4-1 win.

Junior forward Johnny Malandruccolo scored Fredonia’s only goal, a shorthanded tally midway through the first period.

The Blue Devils were outshot 33-25 in the game.

On Saturday, Nov. 4 against Cortland, Fredonia jumped out to an early lead thanks to freshman Antoine St. Onge’s first collegiate goal.

However, the unbeaten Red Dragons would score the next three goals and wouldn’t look back, eventually winning 5-2.

Junior forward Ryan Bailey scored Fredonia’s second goal, his first of the season.

As the Blue Devils continue to rotate goaltenders through the early part of the season, sophomore Charles-Anthony Barbeau got the start against Cortland, stopping 28 of 33 shots.

The losses dropped Fredonia’s record to 0-4, and they will look for their first win of the season when they host conference rival Buffalo State at 7 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10.

VOLLEYBALL

The Blue Devils volleyball team traveled to Rochester to close out their season, falling in both games they played.

On Friday, Nov. 3 against RIT, Fredonia split the first two sets before dropping the next two, ultimately losing the game 3-1.

Junior Gabrielle Sordetto was the overall game leader in aces with five, as junior Erin Callahan had three and senior Elora Sherman had two.

Both teams recorded 13 aces in the game.

Sherman led the Blue Devils in digs with 14, and Callahan led the team in kills with eight.

Freshman Molly Cassidy had a team-best 23 assists.

On Saturday, Nov. 4, Fredonia traveled to Geneseo for a neutral site matchup with Pennsylvania-based Carnegie Mellon, resulting in a 3-0 loss.

Freshman Sasha Zayatz ended her season with a bang, however, leading the team with 12 digs and a trio of aces.

Cassidy again reached the 20-assist mark, while fellow freshman Kylie O’Brien had a team-high seven kills.

The Blue Devils finish the 2023 season with a record of 5-20, an improvement upon last season’s 4-20 mark.

Much of the team’s core is expected to remain intact entering 2024, as Sherman is the team’s only graduating senior.