The Leader
Scallion

Ask Fairy Godmother: Your place to bippity boppity bitch

Dear Fairy Godmother,

Another story in this week’s issue of The Leader is about pay-inequity and gender discrimination. Don’t you think it’s a little overdramatic to be talking about this in a school newspaper? I come here to read funny anecdotes and find out about campus events, not to have feminism and equality shoved in my face. What can I do to prevent having to read anything else about this?

Please Help,

Average Joe

Dear Average Joe,

Although I would rather rip my wings off than pander to your stupidity, I think I owe this one an answer. No, I do not think it’s overdramatic to talk about the incredible professor who is, unfortunately, ending her time here at Fredonia. Her resignation and the situation surrounding it is important to everyone who attends and pays this school because it is, quite frankly, appalling. This newspaper is for the campus, and therefore when an act of injustice happens, it is the duty of these writers and editors to tell the truth that no one else will. I’m sorry that I took a break from your “funny anecdotes” this week, but consider yourself a little more educated after reading this.

It is not the salary alone that has us pissed, Average Joe. It’s the fact that no one did anything! Radio silence for years until she finally had to choose her dignity and career over her current job. This is a faculty member who has brought research and awards to campus. She without a doubt was responsible for dozens of enrollments. Yet, when she had questions about her own worth in the eyes of the school: silence. This surpasses being a question of feminism or equality, it boils down to how Fredonia treats staff members who ask questions. If a decorated, lauded faculty member can’t get questions about her own pay answered, then what hope is there? It’s the duty of the administration to treat our faculty like people, not just numbers. The gender-gap is, in this fairy’s opinion, the root cause of this, but it cannot be blamed alone.

So to Dr. Sherri Mason, although I doubt you’ll read this little humor column, thank you. Thank you for your years of service to our campus and to the environment. Let this fairy assure you that you have left your mark, in your department and beyond. Please keep fighting the good fight and remember that you are paving the way for strong women. I hope all of your future endeavors serve you well.

Sincerely,

Fairy Godmother